Friday, February 24, 2012

This Year We Have ONE More Day To: . . . .

Hey Everyone,
So - You may remember that I'm sort of a non-profit-aholic. I LOVE love love (!) hearing the stories of organizations that are making a difference for people who may not be able to help themselves.
I love researching them
I love following them
I love reading their ideas . . .

Mostly I just love that these organizations give the opportunity to ordinary people (such as myself) to be a part of it.
To be a part of their movement.
To be a part of the miracle
The healing,
The difference.
Of making life better for people.

And as you may remember. This blog is about more than running, or losing weight. It's about supporting causes that deserve it and making a difference in the lives of people around us.

One of my favorite organizations is The One Campaign.
I follow them on twitter (@ONEcampaign)
Their mission is to put an end to poverty.
And I'm not meaning the "bummer I can't get every whim that I get in my head" kind.
I mean the "can't eat-can't feed my kids- can't buy shoes, or other needed clothing" kind.
I think that's a movement worth being a part of.

Today they tweeted a ONE act a week challenge. (http://one.org/blog/2012/02/24/one-act-a-week-use-your-extra-day-to-make-a-difference/)
It was their Leap Day challenge.
They put forth an unfinshed sentence and asked you to complete it. It says:

This year, we have ONE more day to ____________.

My answer is going to be: budget, so that I have more money to give away to people who need it, or at least organizations that help the people who need it.

Why don't you take a couple minutes to decide what you're going to do with your ONE extra day to make a difference. Don't be flippant about it . . . . You never know who you could help.

-Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment